This policy has been developed to confirm Cabo Verde’s Diaspora Charity’s commitment to your privacy.
We collect and process your personal data in accordance with applicable laws that regulate data protection and privacy. This includes, but is not limited to, the Data Protection Act 1998, Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 and, from 25 May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) as well as the UK Data Protection Act these may be amended or replaced from time to time) (together ‘Data Protection Law’).
If you have any questions about this policy, what information we hold about you and how it is used, or want to exercise any of your rights under Data Protection Law (see below) please contact us at [email protected]
How we use your data
The CVDC collects information obtained from individuals through this website or when they register for donation/ subscription/ administration/management and the other purposes set out below.
The information we hold is generally an individual contact name, member organisation (if applicable), contact information (e.g. postal address, email and phone number) and subscription details of the relevant individual and/or supporter organisation. You may also be provided with login details to access a secure subscribers’ area of our website, which you should keep secure and not share with anyone else. Such information that relates to you as an identifiable individual is called ‘personal data’.
Specifically, we may use such personal data we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To maintain our own internal records
- To contact you in response to a specific enquiry or request that you may make
- To send you periodically the Newsletter to which you have subscribed
- To communicate with you about your or your/ or your organisation’s subscription.
In addition to communication via the website, CVDC may contact you in writing by e-mail and by telephone for the above purposes.
We will not pass your personal data to any third party (such as an external public authority or commercial organisation) except where you have consented to us doing so or to the extent that we are subject to a legal obligation to comply. We do not transfer member personal data outside of the United Kingdom.
Under Data Protection Law, CVDC gathers and processes personal data about individual subscribers/ donors and contacts on the legal basis of it being necessary for us to do so in order to fulfil our obligations /or in the legitimate interests of CVDC being able to conduct subscription administration and act effectively as a charitable organisation.
Links from our site and security
Our website may contain links to third party websites. Please note that these are provided for information only and we have no control of websites outside the www.caboverde.org.uk domain. If you view or provide information to a website to which we link, we are not responsible for its data protection and privacy practices and you should always check the privacy policies on that third party site for information about how your personal data is handled. While we use appropriate measures to keep data secure from unauthorised or unlawful access, please be aware that there are always inherent risks in sending data over public networks and we cannot 100% guarantee the security of all personal data disclosed or transmitted to us.
We retain personal data about you for as long as you are a subscriber/donor or we have you on record as being the designated contact point for an organisation that supports us. Where your individual subscription ceases or we are told by you or your organisation that you are no longer its designated point of contact (for whatever reason), we will remove your contact details from our records within a reasonable period (normally up to 28 days). In some exceptional cases, we may retain your details for a period of up to 6 years so far as retaining your details is reasonably needed for the purpose of establishing, exercising or defending our legal rights.
Your data rights
In accordance with your rights under Data Protection Law, you can request information about the personal data that we hold about you, what we use that personal data for and to whom it may be disclosed to (if relevant). Where applicable, you can also request that we:
- correct personal data that we hold about you which is inaccurate or incomplete;
- no longer use your personal data for direct marketing purposes, such as sending you newsletters or other information promoting the CVDC (if relevant);
- erase your personal data if it is no longer needed by us; or
- restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example if you do not think that we have the right to process that data or you need the data to exercise a legal claim. If you would like to exercise any of the above rights, please get in touch with us using the ‘Contact details’ above. We may require further information to verify your identity before we can respond. Please note that we may not be able to rectify or erase your data where we are required to process or retain your personal data for a lawful purpose in accordance with Data Protection Law.
If you believe we are processing your personal data other than in accordance with Data Protection Law and you are not satisfied with our response to a request, you may have a right to complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). For more information see: https://ico.org.uk/.
A session cookie to determine if a subscriber/donor is logged in or not – this cookie is temporary and will be deleted by your browser at the end of your session.